Tools to generate beautiful web API documentation7
Edit 6/16/2013: It’s been a few months, and we finally ended up going with the Swagger-based documentation built into 3Scale.net. Want to see how it looks? Head over to developer.nutritionix.com.
— Begin original post —
As demand for our Nutritionix API is starting to grow rapidly, we have been working on finding an API documentation engine to meet our needs for the long-term. I was not able to find any comprehensive list of existing API documentation solutions, so I am compiling what I have found so far. Please leave feedback on your own experience in the comments.
Web API Documentation Tools
We are still exploring each solution, but I will update this post as we learn more about each option.
- Swagger - A specification and complete framework implementation for describing, producing, consuming, and visualizing RESTful web services. [Demo]
- apiary.io - Provides very quick way to get your documentation up and running, includes GitHub integration and I/O validation. – Suggested by Siyfion via Reddit.
- Docco - Docco is a quick-and-dirty, hundred-line-long, literate-programming-style documentation generator. It produces HTML that displays your comments alongside your code.
- Dexy - Flexible documentation tool that supports any language, for any API.
- Doxygen - Generate an on-line documentation browser (in HTML) and/or an off-line reference manual, and you can configure doxygen to extract the code structure from undocumented source files. Seems more technical than the other options, but a powerful option nonetheless. Suggested by gkumar007 via Reddit.
- TurnAPI – Paid service. Intelligent WIKI-editor, markdown based standards, documentation branching, sync with Git, SVN, Mercurial, clean looking themes. [Features]
- Note: As of writing I was unable to create an account at TurnAPI.
Edit 6/16/2013: It’s been a few months, and we finally ended up going with the Swagger-based documentation built into 3Scale.net. Want to see how it looks? Head over to developer.nutritionix.com